Originally Posted by CZ550
One could easily get the impression from this thread that non-magnum cartridges are "better than" magnums because of less recoil, therefore almost anyone could shoot more accurately with them. I say "get the impression". That may not be intended, yet it's a dominant theme. That of course is true of certain shooters and/or hunters who don't shoot (for various reasons) "big guns" very often or not at all. But I hope no one goes away from here with the belief that their .308 Win is on a par with a .375 H&H under all conditions and circumstances.

I started big game (deer) hunting with a borrowed .30-30, and later with a borrowed .303 British. Sometime later I bought an Argentine military Mauser (still in the grease) in 7 x 57. It was possibly the best made and most beautiful rifle I've ever owned. But... I couldn't mount a scope due to the straight-out bolt handle, so I traded for my first .30-06, a converted M98 military Mauser. I began handloading for that rifle. Soon thereafter it was traded for a nearly new M70 in .30-06. A long story cut short: I've made handloads for most common rifles from .22 Hornet to the .458 Win Mag. And used them in hunting.

At age 86 my favorite rifle is a Ruger #1 in .458 Win Mag for which I make loads that simulate BP, or any .45-70 loads, and full house loads to Lott ballistics. And another thing: not grizzles of BB, but a "good" .458" bullet from a .45-70 or .458 Win will flatten a black bruin without a CNS hit, whereas a 9.3 x 62 will not!

I'm 86 and weigh 160 lbs.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Ah. Another one of those my gun is big enough to floor an animal with a rib cage lung shot breaking no bones just because my round is big.

Flooring animal. DRT or whatever you want to call it is ONLY reliable 100% of the time if you hit CNS. Period.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....