Originally Posted by Dryfly24
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by devnull
I bought a farm for my family and my friends to hunt. Upon writing the contract, the previous widow told me she wanted her grandkids to have lifetime rights to hunt there. I couldn't go along with that program with me paying for the land, taxes, insurance and potential liability.

When my Wife and BIL sold a ranch that my FIL bought in the 1960's they asked for and received trespassing rights for the family for perpetuity, the terms of which were written into the sale document. We are allowed to trespass for recreation as long as we notify the owner, current and future, of our intent and that we close all gates and back haul any thing that we bring with us. I think that they negotiated a 2% discount off of the sale price for that provision. It gives us access to about 3,000 acre of high desert to hunt varmints and ride ATVs on. I'll probably be the only family member to ever exercise the agreement, but it is there for anyone to use.

Rem, don’t get me wrong, I’m happy for you and yours; but I personally would never buy a piece of property with those stipulations. I get how someone else might, but it wouldn’t work for me.

I wouldn't have bought it under those terms either, but the new owner bought it as a money losing investment to balance his money making investments. He isn't going to run it as a working ranch and he isn't going to lease the grazing rights. He told me that he has rented the ranch house so that there will be somebody on-site to keep an eye on things, Now that I think about it, we actually have a perpetual lease of $365 per year for trespassing rights. So he got $60K knocked off the price and he gets an annual payment of $365. It is a crappy piece of land to ranch, but it grows a good crop of coyotes.