Ken,

I think that there is distinction between patriotism and anti-americanism and dissidence.

I am probably the most hawkish member on the board or else I am tied for that position.

However, there are those (mistakenly so) that oppose the war because of

1. I dont think we gave the U.N. enough time.
or
2. I just dont believe in war.
or
3. I dont think that the U.S. has legal justification for attackin Iraq.

I can even think of a few other incorrect but viable reasons for not supporting the concept of war with Iraq.

People that have true convictions of these opinions and speak of them are not un-patriotic or anti-american in my opinion. The do have a right to these opinions and are truly concerned about the U.S.

On the other hand there are those that have taken this conflict as an opportunity to say things such as ""'We're here, we're queer!' -- that's what makes my heart swell. Not the flag, but a gay naked man or woman burning the flag. I get choked up with pride."

-- Janeanne Garofalo"

Those are the things that I believe to be Anti-american and un-patriotic. Free speech is free speech and the constitution protects her right to say these things, but I just dont believe that statements such as these fall under the banner of good taste or what a true american would say.

Jim B.