I've never been in the standing military, only in the militia. Can somebody who has been in the standing military explain to me what the big deal is about supporting the troops? I mean, they're professionals with a job to do, right? I don't mean to offend anybody, but if they are professionals, should our support really matter to them?

For example: I'm a professional software developer. I'm paid to do a job too. (One difference is that I'm compensated with money that somebody willingly chose to pay me in exchange for the exercise of my talents, rather than with money that was forcibly extorted from people by a government agency whether or not those people advocated that particular use of the money; that may or may not be relevant here.) How many of you folks support me? Have any of you sent me care packages or mail expressing your hopes and encouragement that I'll be able to bear up under the stress of my job and overcome its obstacles?

You are correct I am sure no one has sent you any care packages. We in the military are professionals, just as you are. But if you stopped being a computer programmer tomorrow, they would hire another. If they couldn't find enough programmers, I am sure they would up the salary until enough people decided to go that path.

Support our troops. To me it means that you should be greatful for every jelly doughnut you eat in the morning. It doen't appear as if you could run a mile with a 50 pound pack. If there are not enough programmers, Microsoft will not start a draft. If there are not enough members in the military, you can be sure the government will start a draft. Perhaps it will be you. That is why we support the troops. We thank them for doing what many of you would not do willingly.

Yes you can go on about the military being to big, there shouldn't be a draft etc, etc. But that doesn't change the facts. Support the Troops (read) Thank GOD they picked that as a profession, I wouldn't want to give up my Starbucks and jelly doughnut in the morning. If enough people hadn't choose the military as a profession, it might be YOU.

Last edited by Steelhead; 05/31/03.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"