Because we all need approval, feel needed and that we are worthy. Simple, some get it from a paycheck, others need it in leiu of one (the military).

I'm afraid I still don't understand. (Feel free to take this private, if you'd rather.) You're implying that the folks in the military don't get a paycheck? As I said, I've never been in the military, but it was my impression that they did get paychecks.

Also, isn't part of the definition of being a professional being able to do your job and do it well in spite of outside issues and distractions?

And any form of non-support does give aid and comfort to the adversary, it makes them bolder.

Really? You figure Saddam and his buddies lurk here on 24HourCampfire? If not, in what way would any lack of support here make them bolder?

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867