Ken

Please understand that what I am about to say are MY OWN PERSONAL VIEWS AND DO NOT IN ANY WAY, MANNER, OR FASHION imply that yours are wrong.

I am a believer in supporting the military in any and all ways. I believe in supporting the individual soldier or airman or marine or sailor or coast guardsman, or ........... in every way possible. I am dedicated to the concept that there is not a more noble or honorable position than to wear the Uniform of The United States of America. Period.

Now comes the fun part....

I supported the concept of going to war with Iraq before hostilities actually occured. I supported the concept before we ever went to the U.N. I believe in the purpose of the war.

However to hear the people that espouse

1. The war is unjust.
2. Give the U.N. more time.
3. It is unethical to kill Iraqis for the reasons given.
4. War is in any event a bad solution.

to

5. America is evil for killing Iraqis
6. I spit on the Flag.
7. I am glad that I could come here (Spain) for a breathe of fresh air because the air in America is stifling.
8. I am ashamed of my president.
9. My president is a racist.
10. I wish for the Iraqis to kill all of us americans.
11. I wish for a million mogadishu's.

turn to "I dont support the war but I do support the troops" is a tad hypocritical to me. Especially the ones that fall into categories 5 - 11.
To ME, it says. I believe that you are going over to do an unjust thing, no amount of arguement has changed my mind on the idea that it is the right thing to do. It is not the right thing to do but since public opinion would be so bad for me I will do a "I support the troops", lip service and still let the troops know that I dissaprove of the mission that they are going on. How can you look a PFC in southern Iraq with mud in his teeth and some dipstick shooting at him and say, "I dont approve of the mission you are on but please know that I "support the troops.""? If you cant support the mission then you cannot be supporting the lowly little grunt with the rifle in his hand. And these folks know it.

Besides, what does "I support the troops" mean.

Then next time you hear someone spew the that line, ask them this.

"How do you support the troops in general, and specifically, what exactly have you done in the last week to put action to your words. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO SUPPORT A SINGLE AND SPECIFIC INDIVIDUAL SERVING IN OUR ARMED FORCES?"

"I support the troops" from a staunch anti-war or worse yet a staunch anti-american is the moral equivilant of my mother making me "apologize" to my brother for kicking him in the shin one afternoon. I said "I am sorry, Mike" but I did not mean it. I had no remorse for kicking him. He KNEW without a doubt that I did not mean it and furthermore he knew that the "apology" was coerced in that "If you dont apologize there will be hell to pay". While she was swinging the switch in her hand.

Sorry for getting on a soapbox and ranting. This is one of my hot buttons.

Jim B.