Barak

You said

"For example: I'm a professional software developer. I'm paid to do a job too. (One difference is that I'm compensated with money that somebody willingly chose to pay me in exchange for the exercise of my talents, rather than with money that was forcibly extorted from people by a government agency whether or not those people advocated that particular use of the money; that may or may not be relevant here.) How many of you folks support me? Have any of you sent me care packages or mail expressing your hopes and encouragement that I'll be able to bear up under the stress of my job and overcome its obstacles?

I dont believe your analogy is correct about you being a software engineer and the support that you get or dont get.

You are supported ultimately by those people that buy the software package that you provide for them. They no buy, your boss no pay wages.

However there is a great difference to me and to my country for the service that the professional soldier renders and your service to our country for producing wonderful software. That soldier defends with his life the freedom that I enjoy. You sir do not. I am not making light of you or being cavalier in my comment but you do not occupy a place on my totem pole at the same height as any active duty member of the armed service of the United States.

To support the troops to me does not mean " I hope that you are not injured or killed and wish you a speedy return."

I will let Mr. Webster help me with my definition of support.

2. To give courage, faith, or confidence to; help or comfort.
3. To give approval to or be in favor of; subscribe to; uphold.
4. To maintain or provide for ( a person or institution, etc) with money, or subsistance.

SYN. - support, the broadest of these terms, suggests a favoring of someone or something. , either by giving active aid or merely by approving or sanctioning [to support a candidate for office]; uphold suggests that what is being supported is under attack. [to uphold civil rights for all]; sustain implies full active support so as to strengthen or keep from failing [sustained by his hope for the future];

To support a person or group of persons means much much more than a neutral "I hope something bad does not befall you." Support means a very active stance AND ACTION to benefit that group that you claim to support.

There are negative, neutral, and positive actions and words for use. To be supportive means TO DO.

TO DO means to act.

In my own personal world, I cannot say that "I support " anything without being able to defend that action or person.

Second point to argue.

You also said

" But I'm wondering why everyone so automatically agrees that it is not just a good thing but a necessary thing--not just a necessary thing, but a crucial thing--to make it possible for said soldiers to do the jobs they're given.
"

Any person in any profession in this country from ditchdigger to brain surgeon to astronaut to toilet cleaner should be given the best tool within reason to accomplish the task of that person.

Secondly, the soldier is not just a ditchdigger and not only a brain surgeon. He is a person that has put himself in harms way for me and for you. He deserves the best that I can provide for him.

Third, why would you want anyone to give a task/mission to a soldier or the armed forces as a whole with the prior concept of "I know that this mission is in jeapordy because I have information/equipment that I choose not to give to the military unit that would greatly enhance the units effectiveness?

Fourthly, how would you feel as a soldier if your unit was given the task of securing a small town and the list of equipment available and usefull to the accomplishment of your task included, but not limited to, 4 Bradly vehicles, one M1A1 Tank, 5 APC's, 300 troops, a communications link to other combat units and the powers that be sent back a note for your request for this equipment that said. "We will give you one Bradley, no tanks, 2 apc's, 75 troops, and no comm gear. The rest is too pretty and we dont want you to have it. Carry on. "

How would you feel if your personal superior asked you to write code and provided you with computer with a Z80 for a processor, a 10 MB hard disk, one 360 K floppy, and a 5 1/2 inch amber mono monitor? Would you ask for better tools? Would you expect to get better tools? Why?

These tools are not even crucial for your survival today. They are not crucial for your survival this exact moment.

Jim B.