My dad was stationed at Turner AFB, Albany GA in 1959...

The Klan had burned down the local black elementary school...so the School Board, divided our school bldg and put the black kids on one wing... and bulldozed a field next to the school for the playground for the white kids... we were all still kept segregated..

I was a real marble shark... I had won a lot of the black kids marbles at the bus stop ( even tho we all had separate buses..
they wanted the chance to win their marbles back, when it was recess time...which gave me an opportunity to win more marbles..

So I was hauled into the principles office by some male teacher for playing marbles with the black kids at recess, instead of being on the white kids playground.... Our principal was an old woman who looked like and dressed like Whistler's Mother...

she chased me around her office trying to beat me with her cane...she sent me home after she managed to do so, and I was kicked out of school for two weeks..that pissed my old man off, until he found out what for....my folks filed a complaint with the school board...

I spent two weeks out of school... but missed no class work etc.. We had the unusual situation.. a young female teacher that summer had rented a room at our house, for the coming school year when she had been hired at our school..fresh out of college... I was assigned to her class when the second grade school year started...

So my teacher lived at my house....that worked out conveniently...

other than that, I was a choir boy all the way thru school...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez