Originally Posted by travelingman1
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by travelingman1
Try the 12 year old Dickel. Go to drink at hunt camp.

Have had the 11 year?

Mine is definitely 12 year. Good stuff.

Dickel #12 is not an age stated whiskey. The 12 on the label is not an age statement, it's the name of the whiskey. Same for their No 8. The only Dickel standard release whiskey that currently has an age statement is their Bottled in Bond, which is 11 year old. A previous release of the the Dickel Bottled in Bond had a 13 yr age statement. I bought a bottle of Dickel No 12 last year and I got the mineral, chewable vitamin (Flintstone vitamin) note big time and didn't enjoy it. Their rye (which is distilled by MGP) is decent.

The age of Dickel 12 is not known but reviewers have speculated that it's likely a blend of whiskeys from 6-10 years.. By law, if a bourbon has an age statement, it has to be the age of the youngest whiskey blended into a batch. Since many distilleries are using young whiskey in their batches as well as some older barrels, they don't want to put a 4 or 6 year statement on their label. This is why so many have done away with age statements. The No 12 that Dickel puts on their label is meant to confuse the customer into thinking it's an older whiskey than it is.

BTW, Knob Creek is now back to being an age stated whiskey and once again is a 9 yr old whiskey. At it's price point, that is a great value.