Originally Posted by kragman1
I'm surprised that there's such a difference of opinion on the Evan Williams stuff.

Everyone's palate is different, and thankfully so. I like some of the Evan Williams (Heaven Hill Distillery) whiskeys. Their Single Barrel and 1783 are good for whiskey in their proof range (86-90). I prefer the Bottled in Bond due to it's higher proof. It's not a bold whiskey but is a nice gentle sipper for those times when that's what I'm looking for. If I want big and bold, the Elijah Craig Barrel Proof will deliver that, but certainly is not a budget bourbon. I don't hunt down any of the Buffalo Trace Distillery bourbons (Eagle Rare, Blantons, the Wellers etc) because I don't find they are special enough for me to put in the effort to find them or to pay above MSRP for them. My favorites are: WT 101, Rare Breed, Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, WT 101 Rye, Rare Breed Rye, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, Old Forester Signature, Old Forester 1910 and 1920, Old Forester Rye, Pikesville Rye, Knob Creek, Knob Creek Single Barrel, Knob Creek Rye, Jack Daniel's Barrel Proof Single Barrel was a nice surprise for me this year.