Originally Posted by KeithNyst
Roy, so the bolt was almost closed (1/8" still to go) and he could not lever the bolt back, so the bolt as still up against the base of the cartridge?

Is there a way to get the bolt back off the cartridge when the a cartridge is stuck like that?

The bolt was open, not up against the cartridge. I assume he pulled the lever back down hard enough the extractor was able to pull over the rim of the cartridge. How else could he get it open? Maybe the extractor never engaged, I really don't know. I've not studied that.

Gary, as far as things being tweaked and all, I'd retire that gun if it was mine, just on general principle. How in the world could anyone ascertain what damage may have been done, and why risk it? Just buy another one, they're plentiful. He just loves this one in particular because he got his biggest blacktail ever with it. You guys may remember this photo of me with his 99R and buck. We spotted him about 600 yards away and I guided John to within about 60 yards and the R made a good shot. He was a dandy.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Fireball2; 10/15/20.

LOL