Originally Posted by Longbeardking
I have been reading this thread for what seems to be DAYS. I just keep shaking my head wondering 2 things. The first thing is what the hell does this have to do with Savage "collecting". This being the least of concern. The other thing is, I as well, have been reloading for well OVER 40 years. I use an RCBS Rockchucker press and all of my components are also RCBS with the exception of a set of Lee dies for 38-55 and a set of Redding dies for 7mm-08, 22 Sav HP, 444 Marlin and 45-70.

I full length size EVERYTHING. I also chamfer EVERY case mouth. I ONLY load flat base bullets. I never load hot loads for any caliber. During the bullet seating process, I can tell INSTANTLY if I missed a chamfer or if the neck is not reduced properly. I can just feel it.

When I am on the bench, only one load at a time goes into the gun. If I try chambering a round and I feel ANY resistance, I STOP and set the round aside. The only way I can see this incident happening is that force was applied in an effort to fire this round. The extractor engaged the rim and enough force could not be applied from the lever to get it out of the chamber.

That being said, I would NEVER hammer on a live round from any direction, NOR would I I use a sharp tool to dig at a live primer that is the source of ignition to a cartridge loaded with powder and a stuck round in a chamber.

I understand how frustration sets in, and thoughts run wild, but this is a perfect example ( with a happy ending) of how NOT to do things.

I am certain everyone that handles a gun has had at least one accidental discharge, but this was for the most part, not an accident.

Again, I am sorry if I offended anyone.

John's not here to be offended. Hopefully you read the part about it weren't the Fireball blowin up Savages, or am I guilty by association? blush

The reloading really isn't the story, and I'm not sure what RCBS and flat based bullets have to do with anything. Chamfering case mouths is standard protocol. I don't know why John tried to horse the cartridge into the chamber. I promise you he won't be doing it again. Nor will he be tap tap tapping on a stuck round with a cleaning rod and a mallet.

I just posted it as an FYI, for which several members were thankful, while you apartently are just bewildered. I too have been loading for 40 YEARS, without incident. Again, it's not about the reloading, it's the tap tap tap ke-blewy that I find perplexing. In total agreement about NOT drilling into a live primer!

LOL