Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Maybe *more crimp on the bullet would have prevented the bullet from pushing into the case? Maybe that's the answer?

Yep, the more I think about it, the more that makes sense. A heavily crimped bullet would completely eliminate the possibility of primer ignition from compression of the powder column inside the case.

What do you all think of that?

The initial problem was why it didn't chamber all the way.

Likely problems: case wasn't properly resized down, the bullet was extended too far forward, or there was something in the chamber. I'd say #1/#2 are most likely based on watching a lot of guys shoot at the range. Never seen anybody with something in the chamber.. seen a number of bad reloads.

The actual explosion I still think was most likely from the force of pounding on the bullet. I don't think more crimping would help for a bullet that's seriously jammed in, brass is soft enough to push in with enough force.
When that didn't work he tapped the rod with a wooden mallet and the result is what you see here.

Prime 200 empty cases. Then start depriming them. See if any go off from pressure pushing down on the primer.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com