Originally Posted by Dutch
Geno, not all growth is bad, little towns like yours and mine are struggling to keep population high enough to attract basic services like grocery stores and repair shops. Our town is fighting to be able to field an 8 man football team. A few more folks around isn’t bad everywhere. The county seat still has a hospital, but it’s touch and go. No, a few more folks wouldn’t hurt us a bit. But, since were 90%+ Mormon, the influx of all these “open minded” Californians is puzzlingly low....... wink.

That's why I mentioned "limited" growth. We lived for awhile in Boulder City, NV. Limited growth, BIG city limits they were smart enough to incorporate years and years ago, and most importantly in NV---- NO GAMBLING.

It was wonderful to live there, and be able to stay away from the zoo over the hill in Henderson/Las Vegas.

I'll agree, we could use a little here. This year's census should be interesting. I think they lost a few percent population in the last one. We just got a brand spankin' new hospital here, opens tomorrow I think. Some things will be nice, others not so much. My pharmacy is moving from a small place on Main St to within the actual hospital building. Now will have to go through the main doors, get temp checked and wear masks and such, and go into the place where all the sick people are. They could have had an outside entrance.

I think the city/county is hoping to attract some more health care providers with the new facility and hoping that attracts some other places. Problem is, even though we're away from all the crap in the cities, businesses still have to operate under State rules, and from some reports businesses here in Cali are bailing too.

The St George thing is exactly the problem with growth at all costs program. That water issue is going to be a big one. Especially with continued droughts forecast. Last I heard, when I lived down in that area of the world, some of that water they're hoping to get from L Powell is already spoken for downriver. Water rights are powerful JuJu in the desert.

90% Mormon will tend to keep the unwashed masses away, sometimes. I hope your county can pick up enough growth to be sustaining, but not so ,much it ruins the quality of life.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?