A-to-Z Pawn in Blackfoot was owned by an old fellow named Lyle and his wife Virginia back in the 90s. Lyle was (is...I dropped in there last September and got filled in on what's gone on the last 25 years) a short little fellow, and kinda reserved. It was a pawn shop, but most of the business was guns back then. Lyle had a fellow named Buck working behind the counter (and others as well), and Buck was a pretty outgoing fellow. One day he asked Lyle if his mama used to dress him up in blue jeans when he was young, to which Lyle replied "yes, of course." Buck had set the hook...then he asked Lyle, "did she leave the zipper down so you could see where you were going?" The four of five guys standing around who witnessed this were practically rolling on the floor...Lyle got red faced and walked back to his office and wouldn't come back out. Great day, that was.

Doc's Gun Barn in Pocatello was a great place in the mid-90s. Small, but lots of inventory, and Doc Blanchard was a great guy to do business with. One day I spied a Norinco 1911 Compact in the display case...first I had ever seen, and I wanted it badly at first sight. I'd had two Norinco 1911A1s (I think I paid $205 for those back in '93 or '94). The 1911A1s were as reliable as stones. BUT, I had to have that Compact so I grabbed one of my A1s at home and went back down to Poky. No one was in the shop, but Doc and myself that morning. I laid my boxed pistol on the counter and told Doc I'd like to swap. He opened the box, picked up the pistol, and pulled the slide back just a bit while peering into the breech. Then he vigorously yanked the slide back and a live round ejected and landed on the counter, and there I stood with my mouth hanging open. Before I could say a word Doc just walked away and went back to his office or something. I'm sure he did that to give me a little time to think about what had just taken place. I had known better for many years long before that day, so all I can say to this day is "mea culpa," and I plead guilty that day at Doc's. We eventually conducted the trade, and part of the deal was I was to always triple check a gun for live ammo (and I've held up my end of that bargain to this day). Unfortunately, the Norinco Compact was a complete turd and I didn't keep it long. I wish I had thise two 1911A1s back!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.