Originally Posted by copperking81
Do those that hoard just not shoot what they hoard? As in they buy it, hold on to it, and never shoot it? I get the sense that is not uncommon with the "hoarders", which to me is irrational.

If you looked at my stash, you'd probably think I'm a hoarder but I don't consider myself one. I shoot a lot and keep inventory to ride out spikes in short demand. I'll say that this shortage has changed my shooting habits though, because I don't know when the insanity will end.

I'm also not opposed to selling off what I've got. When 500rd boxes of 9mm NATO are going for over $400... hard not to pass that up.

Not a hoarder. I just stock up against shortages, regardless of cause, because 1) I like to shoot, and 2) I might need it. When there's no shortage, I shoot a lot. During shortages, I shoot a good bit less, despite having lots of ammo, because you can't replace what you shoot anymore.

It's just like the Mormon thing of maintaining a stockpile of canned and dry foods, and once you have x amount, you start using the oldest first, and then replace it, always maintaining the same amount in storage. It's just called wisdom, in my book. Not hoarding. Think of the old fable of the ant and the grasshopper.

[Linked Image from dltk-teach.com]