Originally Posted by roundoak
When we open up our deer camp in Montana we expect to get rid of some critters like pack rats, but did not expect to run into a Wolverine. When we pulled up with the truck it came bursting out from underneath the cabin snarling and off into the breaks. A few days later we were woke up by snarling and a ruckus under the cabin. We stomped on the floor boards to end it, but the ruckus continued, A couple of us went outside with shotguns and headlamps. Ol Luke had enough and shot a couple rounds into the floor with his 44 Mag Ruger Redhawk and out come three Wolverines so fast nobody got a shot off. They left an awful stink that lingered for days.

By "breaks" I'm guessing you mean the Missouri River Breaks? Have hunted them a lot over the decades, and haven't seen any wolverine tracks, much less a wolverine, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible.HAVE seen what were definitely wolf tracks, long before they started drifting back into Montana from Canada, and were transplanted in Yellowstone.

Have seen fresh wolverine tracks in the wilderness in and surrounding the Bob Marshall in western Montana, but the only two I've personally seen were in Alaska just north of Iliamna Lake close to 20 years ago, during a spring bear hunt, and one in Canada's Northwest Territories during a caribou hunt a couple years later. Happened to have a wolverine tag on the NWT hunt, and spotted it far enough away (500 yards?) to make a stalk within 200 yards. It was an ancient male with semi-broken teeth that may not have made it through the winter.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck