Originally Posted by roundoak
[ My people settled outside Winifred Mt after World War II, first hired out on ranches in the Judith River area, then purchased their own spreads near the Missouri Breaks. Never heard them speak of Wolverine sightings, until the 1970s. Big rain storm hit the area in 1973, lightning hit the Methodist Church and it burned down. A neighbor, last name was Peterson, went to check cattle after the storm and he came across a Wolverine scavenging one of the dead cows that drowned in one of the washes. Fish and Wildlife out of Lewiston was called to verify what he saw was a Wolverine. Tracks in the mud confirmed. Since then I can recall some news relayed a few years ago to me that a Wolverine was killed by a car on Hwy 87 between Great Falls and Fort Benton.

I will bore you with one more story. While celebrating success of a hunter on a nice Mule deer in a bar in Winifred the conversation with some locals lead to talking about the Big Horn Sheep now found in the breaks. One guy said there are other critters he had not seen before. He and another guy were fishing on the Missouri and they saw a critter swimming and motored over to it. It looked like a small bear. They kept their distance and followed it to shore and when it got out of the water they realized it was no bear. Surmised it was a Wolverine after looking at pictures on the internet.

Interesting. I am pretty familiar with that country, since my paternal grandparents homesteaded near Roy right after WWI, and after selling the homestead my grandmother lived in Lewistown until she passed away in 1960. I also lived in Hobson for four years in the late 1980s, partly due to exploring my "roots." Have hunted quite a bit through that part of the Breaks, including canoe hunts on down to Fred Robinson Bridge. Last time I was up there was last year, and saw one of the biggest mule deer bucks have seen in many years--of course on private ground that couldn't be hunted, not too far south of Winifred.

Wolverine populations (not just individual sightings) have been documented in Montana in the north end of the Little Belts in Judith Basin County, with confirmations in the past five years, and older confirmations a little farther north. There have also been scattered individuals confirmed along the Hiline north of the Missouri River, some pretty recent, but those are generally assumed to have drifted down from Canada.

The only place I've seen wolverine tracks fresh and clear enough to confirm them was in the Scapegoat Wilderness north of Ovando in the mid-80s, during a drop-camp elk hunt, but the population is supposed to be about as high there as any place in the state. Also ran across fresh grizzly tracks on the same path...

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck