Originally Posted by Sitka deer
[quote=FishinHank]Straight off F&G website

"In January 1997, a Juneau trapper brought Fish and Game a fisher caught in a trap set for marten, about 20 miles northwest of Juneau in the Eagle River area, the first documented fisher in Alaska. Between 1997 and 2009, three more fishers were trapped in that same area, and another just south of that area on Montana Creek. The fifth was trapped on the north side of the lower Taku River just south of Juneau."

Thank you for that. Very different from what I have been told and I will have to check. I have personally seen them from the Kenai...

Huh! So those porky pelts south of Hope in the late 60's early 70s may have been fisher doings after all! Sure did look like it. We estimated we saw 200-300 porky pelts along that 6 miles or so of bench land, most of it only a few hundred yards wide.. That's only what we saw (we weren't exactly keeping track....we were concentrating on finding our sling load, which had quite a bit of our personal gear in it), and not what was assuredly out there. Something(s) had found a target rich hunting ground over the previous winter.

Wolverines are not just woodland critters. A fair amount are caught in the Arctic, with little in the way of woods. Eskimo parkas (like mine) traditionally have wolverine ruffs because the frost from breath, etc. can be easily brushed off. Warm too. From a documentary I think, it seems wolverines are one of the few animals that can digest bone and get nourishment from it, not just the marrow. Also learned today is that they have a molar that faces inward or upward that helps them rend frozen flesh. That isn't quite clear to me, yet.
This thread lead me to do some basic research on wolverines, martin and fishers. I did not know marten of various species or sub-species had such a world-wide distributson, including India. Wolverines are wholearctic, fishers are NA only, both of which I knew.

For the record, I have seen only two live martin in all my years up here - one chasing a squirrel through the tree tops near Caribou Creek on the Kenai's Resurrection Trail, the other at around 10,000 feet in Colorado west of Ft. Collins. It came running along a log and passed within 10 feet of my wife and me.

That squirrel lost....

Assuming I have this straight, the Asian/African/Indonesian? honey badger is in it's own Genus and sub-Genus, but more closely related to the other badgers than to the wolverine, tho they do closely resemble each other. Form follows function, maybe.

Last edited by las; 12/07/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.