Forty plus years ago when lived up near Eureka, MT, a local trapper took 27 wolverines off one mountain in the upper Whitefish Range. Fish and Game didn't know that there were that many wolverines in the whole mountain range.

I saw my first wolverine in the early '80s while hunting bighorn sheep in one of the Unlimited tag units near West Yellowstone, MT. My hunting partner and I stopped on a ridge for a lunch break. We had spotted 3 mule deer bucks bedded down on a small knob about 100 yards below us. As we watched the bucks, they all started looking at the hill below them. We looked below and saw a wolverine stalking up toward the bedded deer. Then the smallest buck, a 2x2 stood up and took a couple of steps toward the approaching wolverine. The wolverine then turned and loped away.

The only other wolverine that I've seen was in the late '90s when I was hunting a Dall ram in the Mackenzie Mountains in Canada's Northwest Territory. My guide and I were packing our camp and my ram down to the Super Cub pickup point when we spotted a wolverine working his way up the valley that we were in. I had bought a wolverine tag "just in case." He now has a spot on my trophy room wall.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by buffybr; 12/13/20.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member