Originally Posted by buffybr
Forty plus years ago when lived up near Eureka, MT, a local trapper took 27 wolverines off one mountain in the upper Whitefish Range. Fish and Game didn't know that there were that many wolverines in the whole mountain range.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I spent a lot of time kickin around the upper Whitefish Range myself 40 years ago and still do today.

There was a abundant amount of game in that area in the earlier years.
Before they shut down the over snow winter travel it was a given you'd cut Wolverine tracks while touring around and the Lynx were as plentiful. There were enough Grouse and Snowshoe Hares to support plenty of predators.

To apply a accurate number of the total population would have been a challenge.

Then came the re-introduction of Wolves....

The competition for winter food alone the Wolf added helped clear most smaller predators out.

We took Elk, Deer and Moose out of there too, the best areas were above Red Meadow lake in the higher country. Link lake and the small chain of mountain lakes to the north of it were really strong.

I was back in that area just this past Fall.
The hike into Link Lake produced zero tracks of hooved animals.
The entire drive for 50 some odd miles through forested country it takes to get to Red Meadow Lake and back produced just a couple small deer, you're re more likely to see Bears and Wolves.

The decimation of the Moose population is particularly sad. They were managed well, tags were few but the Moose seemed plentiful prior to the Wolf population explosion.

A friend of mine was lucky enough to be drawn for a tag in that region and we literally went in there and picked out which bull he wanted.

The bull on the left in this photo came from above Red Meadow Lake.

These two mounts are currently for sale due to the recent sell of this home if anyone would be interested, both are very similar in size with the heads being turned left and one right for display as you see them. They were both mounted by Bruce Babcock.

They have been moved to storage in the last two weeks.

The one on the right is a Pope and Young bull scoring 156 0/8 typical that was taken on the upper Middle Fork of the Flathead. At the time of the kill (1981) it was #5 P&Y bull in state. There is less than one inch of deduction, it's a all but perfectly balanced bull.

PM me if you'd be interested in purchasing, the owner is quite hesitant of breaking up the pair.