Originally Posted by wytex

As far as Colorado being backup for folks that don't draw, that is true. Take a look over on a Texas hunting forum. Thousands of OTC elk tags are sold every year to NR.

Cmon now wytex, I’m idiotic and that’s not true! Right, spend 10 minutes on any online hunting forum, the Texas Hunting Forum, Rokslide, Big Game.net, everyone is being told just come to Colorado and you can hunt elk, no restrictions, no limit, pick your tag up at Walmart! I’ve hiked 6 miles from a trailhead and met more than 1/2 dozen guys bow hunting elk that weren’t from Colorado on a given day! It’s just my imagination though!

The issue is that states have transitioned from good sound wildlife management to a means of funding for the state and the quality of the animals, the quality of the experience, and herd management plays second fiddle to meeting a budget goal, it’s that simple! There’s all kinds of articles available discussing the economic goals of CPWD and wildlife management has nothing to do with it. The Parks side wants the most money, selling the tags is critical to fund the Parks side, not the wildlife side of the organization.