Originally Posted by T_Inman
Texans may flood the Colorado woods, but Californians (at least those from N Cali) flood the Idaho elk fields, as Idaho has some unlimited NR areas. Washington folks flood north Idaho in the same manner. Vehicles and campers in every wide spot. It is not just Colorado that has the issue.

The best thing I ever did before leaving Idaho was buy a lifetime license, so my name is in the pool with the residents. That, and being 60% VA disabled, I get dirt cheap NR licenses there.

Am I part of the problem? Probably but it is what it is.

They come from everywhere to hunt Colorado. I’d agree it’s overcrowded. I started hunting Colorado in 2001, I don’t think it was less crowded then the difference is guys are hunting harder than the used to. I used to have several good spots in units I can draw fairly easy. Those great spots are no longer. guys are hiking in spike camps,rafting across rivers, navigating property lines..all of it. Getting tough to get away from them now.

They’re killing the deer quality in my favorite units. They say it’s to slow the spread of CWD. In 20 years I haven’t seen a sickly looking deer over there, but I’m not a biologist.. I don’t normally hunt elk there, but it’s a rare year I couldn’t fill a bull tag while deer hunting. Just gotta stay persistent, it’s a mental game as much as it is physical.