Originally Posted by Bosque
My son was in kindergarten..maybe first grade. He was all boy. If he saw a cricket running across the floor, he'd jump up in the middle of class and go catch it. If the kick ball went over the fence on the playground, he'd climb over and go get it. Teachers had a hard time controlling him. He wasn't being disrespectful, he just didn't realize they had different rules than he had at home. I tried to teach him to be independent. If he needed something on the counter, I taught him to climb up and get it. Well, teachers were having a hard time, so after about the second time of them calling me leaving work to go out to the school, I had a pretty serious talk with him and asked the teachers to step outside. I busted his butt and told him to listen and behave. He's bawling. I opened the door and they're all out in the hall bawling too . I looked at them and asked what they thought was going to happen? That lasted for a couple of months. The last time they called, I said "look, he already respects me. Do you have a paddle on that campus?? Yes sir. Then use it. But stop calling me at work." I asked my son that evening if he got paddled at school. No. They couldn't do it. Lol.

It works like this as a parent, I was told back in the day.

When your behavior changes, the pain will stop.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.