I was in 11th grade and had Coach Allen for Algebra and Trig. Most of the coaches were kind of dumb but Coach Allen had a degree from Ga. Tech and he was, needless to say, very smart.
Of course Coach Allen had a "board" and used it frequently, and I got it laid across my ass about five times in 2 years.

One day in class, Coach Allen told about some high school boys got real naughty one night. About 11 pm he was awakened by the sound of someone trenching his yard.
Coach Allen told us that he ran right out there with the 12 gauge. Of course, the car full of students hauled ass. What they didn't know, Coach Allen lived on a dead-end street. He told us, he just stood there by the mailbox waiting for them to come back. In a minute the terrified punks came roaring back at 80 mph.

Coach Allen told us, he didn't want to hit the boys, just wanted to scare them, and he just was firing bird shot, he waited until they got past and he gave them both barrels in the trunk. He said he knew it wouldn't penetrate into the passenger area.
And he told us, that was the last time his yard got trenched.

Whacking naughty boys with the wooden paddle, shooting the car of naught boys with the 12 gauge. It was a different time.