Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Idaho allows any centerfire for any big game animal. That's just saying its legal, not that it's smart.

These threads about how small of a caliber you can use always tell only half of it. They leave out the part about "I got an elk with my 22 Hornet and I only wounded 2 before 1 went down."

Yes! My question about such threads is WHY! Yeah It'll kill it, IF everything goes right. But what's always left out here is what if? What if you hit just a little off of aim and hit a big thick bone? ? Wouldn't it be better to use a bigger, heavier, higher sectional density bullet that will better drill through that unplanned for bone? Instead of hitting that bone and have that bullet come apart on that bone and create a big nasty surface wound that won't cause immediate death and allow that animal to linger for a few days in pain before dying and not be found in time before spoiling the meat?

Last edited by Filaman; 06/10/21.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!