Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Filaman
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Idaho allows any centerfire for any big game animal. That's just saying its legal, not that it's smart.

These threads about how small of a caliber you can use always tell only half of it. They leave out the part about "I got an elk with my 22 Hornet and I only wounded 2 before 1 went down."

Yes! My question about such threads is WHY! Yeah It'll kill it, IF everything goes right. But what's alwsays left out here is what if? What if you hit just a little off of aim and hit a big thick bone? ? Wouldn't it be better to use a bigger, heavier, higher sectional density bullet that will better drill through that unplanned for bone? Instead of hitting that boane and have that bullet come apart on that bone and create a big nasty surface would that won't cause immediate death and allow that animal to linger for a few deays in pain before dying and not be found in time before spoiling the meat?

I posed that question to a local game warden here because of the ethics involved ( its legal in MT) and the bottom line was F&G doesn't care.
They are only interested in the tag revenue.

Maybe so. Montana's allowance of it also made it legal for you to finish off those two incidental cripples that you mentioned I guess. Otherwise you would have had to let them continue to be a cripple due to having your .223 instead of something bigger. That is one way to look at it.