Originally Posted by gssixgun
I still have my little Orange Hunter Safety Card from way way back, did you know that it is highly respected to have one from CO in many states I guess it is one of the best courses offered..

Pretty cool really, you should go get yours Smokes Pole..

LOL, nice try sixgums, you're doing great, keep it up.

I've been an instructor for the course for about 15 years now, I guess that means I'm even more highly-respected than card holders, who knew? I've taught over 1,000 students and helped them get their card. CPW calls it "Hunter Educattion," by the way, not "Hunter Safety."

So yes, I am familiar with those regulations, and we go over those in class because it's the law here and students need to know that. But then again we're not talking about state regs here, are we?

My question to you was, what are the energy numbers based on? if you ask anyone in CPW what the magical 1,000 ft-lbs is based on, they'll have the same answer you do, which is, "I can't tell you." It's an arbitrary round number with no systematically-derived data to back it up, only anecdotes. And there are plenty of anecdotes on the other side from people who have killed deer with less than a .243, without a problem.

But if you want to talk state regs, let's talk about Wyoming or Montana or your home state of Idaho, where you can use a caliber less than .243. What does that tell you? Are the agencies there totally ignorant? If so, you really need to get off the internet and get the law changed in your state.

Or better yet, go on the deer hunting forum and ask if anyone has killed multiple deer with a .223. You'll get a lot of answers from guys who have actually done it, unlike you.

A wise man is frequently humbled.