I tip at carryout restaurants. I am so happy that people are working, especially in food service industry, rather than sitting at home collecting welfare. These are hard jobs and typically done by young people who are also try to pay for an education or elderly people who need to supplement their Social Security. My hope is that the tips are shared with all the staff including the dishwashers but that may be wishful thinking since it violates labor laws if someone complains.

A local restaurant for many years had all his employees put all of their tips together and at the end of the week it was divided between all of the employees. His thinking was the dishwasher had the hardest job on the property and the cooks skills were a big part of the success so rewarding all equally was common sense. Well a few past employees, years after they worked there, complain to the Virginia Labor Department and they made this owner go back and find all employees that were wait staff, who Virginia said earned the tips, an he had to pay them out of his own pocket. Lucky loyal patrons started a go-fund-me and raise enough money to get him out of trouble.

Sometime trying to do the ethical thing gets you in trouble with the rule makers.