Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

If a restaurant owner paid good wages....we wouldn't have to suffer with schitty service.

I disagree, if what you’re saying by “good wages” is “similar to what others in the restaurant are paid”. I’ve gotten BBS d service at fast food restaurants more consistently than I have at sit-downs where tips are in play.

Now if you’re talking “good wages” in the sense of “living wage” I’d say that there was a reason I had those jobs as a student and don’t now. If one wants a living wage serving food isn’t and never will be the place to get it. The margins are super narrow.

Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

If people ONLY tipped for excellent service and quality food....your argument would be valid.

My argument is valid (note I used the word “diminished” in my original post) to a certain extent regardless because meritocratic systems work on those motivated enough to take advantage of them.

I agree with the bottom line you’re pushing… that restauranteurs should pay servers the same as everyone else with tips being optional for excellent service.

Ps I’ll add “and tips should not be taxed”

Last edited by efw; 07/15/21. Reason: Ps