Originally Posted by SBTCO

Its too early to tell whether your statement is true, Doc, especially with the number of people contracting covid weeks/months after being fully vaccinated. We're talking about vaccines that skipped the standard vetting process and rushed through based on an "emergency".

Negative, big gunner.

The effectiveness is a real world actual case number. It is as real as the cornflakes (or whatever) you ate for breakfast today. And the "vetting" process of its development is utterly irrelevant to the verifiable fact of this number, you're trying to introduce a distraction here.

Now, I'll give you this: it is early in the game, perhaps, and the number (% effectiveness) will almost certainly change.

But I say again: efficacy (predicted %) and effectiveness (actual %) are NEVER the same, but effectiveness is almost always lower than predicted efficacy. So far, we are seeing effectiveness that is HIGHER than predicted. This is not a trivial finding, it's actually quite stunning, and while not exactly unprecedented, it's pretty damn rare.

So we need to see how the effectiveness numbers change over time, I quite agree.

But we are talking about pretty large numbers here at this point in time. In Texas, the population I'm using for an example here, 43% of our population is fully vaccinated (12.6 million people out of 29 million). So observing that 99.995% of the roughly 9000 deaths we've seen since February is significant by any measure.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars