673;
Top of the morning my friend, I hope the nights are cooler for you all up there too and the situation has leveled off at least somewhat.

We're still very dry here, but they say the Thomas Creek fire is contained and Nk'Mip is not growing so that's good news.

With the understanding that I'm now a couple years out of the HR loop, but at one time was actually an HR/Safety Mgr so am not entirely unversed in the subject, I'll throw this out.

When the Privacy Act came in there were a whole list of questions that employers could no longer ask either potential or current employees. Included were religious beliefs, sexual orientation or medical conditions.

We could ask if they had any conditions preventing them from doing the prescribed task, but they were under no obligation to answer anything beyond yes or no.

What does that mean and why do I bring this up you could ask?

Well..... you might have to have a vax pass to get into the movies, but Billy behind the counter might not have one to work there. Or your bar tender, or your server at a restaurant because the employer would be violating the Privacy Act asking.

How then do the folks employed at Health Care and Federal government have to answer and comply without violating the Privacy Act?

Well.... that's a really good question, because it does and their employers are violating the Act.

Frankly I don't know if it's part of their respective union's collective agreement that they've waived that right or exactly what the situation is.

As well, case law in Canada usually stems from someone challenging an action in court, a decision being made by the courts and then the laws either amended or changed.

This is frankly pretty untested, as were many of the beer flu restrictions levied by various provincial governments which were in direct violation of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

There was and continues to be, a lot of strange things afoot 673, too many to keep track of some days, you know?

Lastly, if not for ourselves, we must remain vigilant and keep our governments culpable for their actions for our children and grandchildren. It's our responsibility I believe.

All the best to you sir and good luck on your hunts.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"