Originally Posted by bowmanh
I'd say the number of people who want to become cops has dropped considerably in the last two years. We currently see very little public respect for cops, and it's a difficult, often thankless job. Society sure needs cops, but you wouldn't know it from the public discussion. It's a bad situation that will result in a lot more crime and violence.

This. I live in a town of about 70,000. We are a suburb and many folks move here because they feel safe and we are a long ways away from a ghetto. But, they are having a huge problem getting police candidates. And, many of the applicants can't get through the process before failing some part of it. The ones that get through are many times lured away by a department that pays more, has better shifts or more opportunity. Gone are the days of getting 50 candidates for 2 or 3 jobs. It sounds like 8 or 10 will show up for the written test and 4 or 5 will take the physical agility test.

If getting recruits is tough in our town can you imagine what it is like in some $hithole town ?? I predict the demise of the patrol officer in the next 10 years, especially in places like Minneapolis, LA, New York, Seattle or Chicago. I'm sure there will be some folks who are happy about that. I guess that explains why folks are leaving the blue States and blue cities. Or, at least part of the reason. Throw in the taxes and politics and there you go.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.