I have had one "wreck" that for several years I thought was a bullet failure. Lined up on my first bull elk at close to 300 yards. The bull was heading downhill and I was looking strait toward his back. I put a 165 Hornady (not positive if it was a boat tail or soft point) right between his shoulder blades and the bull dropped and rolled. I had to go out of sight to get to him and when I got close to where he was supposed to be he was back on his feet. Hours later we caught up to him and my buddy finished the job.

The bullet was placed perfectly between the shoulder blades but failed to break the spine or do significant damage to the vitals.

It was years later that I got more interested in ballistics and learned more about velocity, expansion, design parameters, etc. That bullet was started really slow because my rifle shot best with book starting loads...which was never an issue on the truckloads of deer I killed under 200 yards. It hit that elk really close to the magic 1800 fps and it likely didn't open up much at all. It grazed enough of the spine to knock him out for a bit but not enough to keep him down.

My one "bullet failure" was simply operator error for delivering a bullet to the right place at the wrong speed.

All the rest seem to work fine when placed properly. In the last few years we have taken game with Speer, Sierra, Hornady, Barnes, Nosler, and Berger. Monos, Premium Bonded, and cup/cores. Some worked "better" then others but all did the job.