I'll note an experience with a specific box of bullets, or couple of bullets out of that box. I've had different results with the same bullet on a lot of different animals but anyhow.....

.224 75 Amax. Loaded as a forming load in a .223AI. Very accurate. Shot a coyote at ~75 yards...maybe it was a little more, possibly out to 125. Hammered shoulder and the yote dropped screaming and doing helicopter circles on it's side. I watch/listen for a little while thinking it's going to end but it gets louder. I put another in it while it's on it's side. It keeps screaming and doing circles. Walk up to it and put it out of it's misery. First bullet blew up on the shoulder. Shoulder was broken but I don't think the bullet made it past the shoulder. Second bullet blew up on it's leg (it was on it's side, foot facing me when I shot the second time). It was ugly. Almost no penetration.

I've killed a lot of yotes, crows, armadillos, foxes, and bobcats with the 75 Amax and I've never seen anything like that before or again. I also shot up the rest of what I had loaded at targets before I went back to it. It doesn't kill as fast as a 50 vmax but it's been dependable....except for that group of bullets.