Originally Posted by Burleyboy
About 15 years or so ago I had a friend complain the 180 I interlocks I loaded for him were blowing up on game. I'd had good luck with that bullet for years so I looked into it. We glued an older one and a newer one to a board and belt sanded them about in half. The older lot had a thicker jacket and a heavy interlock ring and the newer one had a thin jacket and a barely noticeable interlock ring in a different place.

I called Hornady and finally got through to a tech that told me the engineers change them around all the time trying to make them more accurate. I lost a bit of faith in a bullet I'd used for years after that. I used to use interlocks all the time and loaded them for friends that didn't want to spend much.

Thanks for this. Explains what happened with that bullet on a maybe 110# CT doe. About 2550 fps impact on a rib, 2" entrance hole I saw in real time even in recoil, fragments made it across midline. DRT, but not exactly what I expected. Couple years later friend hit a Newf moose with .300 Roy factory ammo and that very bullet. Two splashes on impact, required a .338 finisher courtesy of another friend.

Sill have several boxes from that time period, guess they'll be range heads.