Originally Posted by roundoak
TrueGrit, I would not go so far as to call it bad judgement, rather expectation of an advertised bullet.

It was not a major concern when two bucks were killed with no bullet exit, just a little disappointed because I am in the two hole camp. I was not about to throw the baby out with baby water yet. I had experience busting shoulders with old Hornady 87 grain bullets, so I did not hesitate to take the shot on the Mule deer. After the shoulder splash on the Mule deer and comparing notes with others using the bullet, I decided not to use it on deer anymore. Too bad, it was the most accurate bullet in the Savage 99-F.

Some reading this may wonder why not use a 100 grain bullet on deer. It would not stabilize a 100 grain bullet and was probably the reason why Dad got such a good deal on it. Dad and I checked the twist and a second opinion was obtained with a gunsmith. It was close to a 1-15" ROT.

I had an older (1920’s vintage) takedown 250-3000 Savage 99. Passed it along to my cousin for his boys to have and keep in the family. My grandfather shot a lot of heavy bodied (220+lb) UP bucks with that rifle and 87 grain bullets. Unfortunately things change and there aren’t a lot of 14” ish twist 250 Savages floating around that require a good 87 grain bullet so I’m sure Speer and everyone else doesn’t take the time and resources to build a stout light for caliber .257 bullet. Sucks because that is an accurate and handy little rifle. If only Savage still built them of that quality in say a 9” twist.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.