Originally Posted by coat4gun
Originally Posted by JPro
[quote=GRF]Judman: I see that lure out there shining in the water……hell I’m gonna bite, at least once.

The worst bullets are the one used outside of their design parameters

I agree with that notion, although some game bullets do turn out to be "softer" than expected, while others might be the opposite. The early Ballistic Tips and SSTs (along with the current W-W Deer Season XP) are pretty dang quick and violent on expansion. If you know that going in, you can work with it. If you don't know, that's when you get some bad experiences.

I was thinking about this the other morning when I was driving to work. People complain (myself included) at times, when it comes to the cost of a controlled-expansion bullet, say it's a 150gr .308 bullet. But that bullet has to be able to work near and far at speeds from close-range 300 Magnum hits to 400yd 308Win hits. That's asking a lot. And it needs to work on a broadside 100lb whitetail doe in those scenarios, as well as an angling shot on a 300lb mule deer

buck. Years ago, you just bought 150 cup/cores for your .308Win and 200gr cup/cores for your magnum, as the bullet company had (hopefully) made that simple and cheap bullet to be effective within its intended design parameters. That's why nobody was that surprised if you blew up a ton of meat with a 150gr cup/core from a 30yd shot from a 300Wby. You were obviously using a bullet that was meant and built to perform nicely in a 300 Savage or .308Win. As a hunter, you were expected to research this and know what's what.

Exactly right. I've been handloading 165gr Ballistic tips since the late 80's for .308 win. Dropped at least 20 White Tails and my son got 3 and none went more than 20 yards. Longest shot was 200 yards and closest about 5 yards. Shoot them in the heart/lungs and its a very effective loading. Never had a bullet come apart and all but one I can think of was a complete pass through. I suppose if I was shooting a 300wby I might choose a different bullet but at .308 win speeds it works great.

federal terminal accent close far fast slow doesn't matter they do EXACTLY what federal says they do
weight retention and penetration they are the best of both worlds