I have had 3 77's, all tangers. The first two were an early '70's 77V in .25-06 and a late '70's 77V in .220 Swift. I still have the Swift. Both were accurate rifles. The .25-06, with 4064 or 3031 would keep 75 grain Sierra HP's under 3/4" for 5 shots. The Swift, with the same powders, would keep 55 grain, pre-BT Noslers under a half inch (most of the time) for 5. I have, after a long hiatus, started playing with the Swift again. The third 77 I have is a 77R in 7mm RM. It's a mid '80's gun. It's not been in the same league, accuracy-wise, as the other two, but more than adequate for it's purpose which was always deer hunting. It will keep good bullets either side of an inch for 3. I've probably killed more deer with that than with any other individual rifle. It now resides with one of my sons out in Missouri.

The '70's 77's have bolts that lock down with the safety on, which I prefer. My 7mm RM has a bolt that doesn't lock down. I guess the change was made for safety reasons, but I don't like it.

Mathew 22: 37-39