Times are different now...

We grew up in an age where shotguns and deer rifles in the back window of a pick up at school was a standard. The odd fistfight was throttled but no school shootings, we were just different.

As members of the FFA we rode the busses as help, monitors for the drivers. I lived 1/4 mile from the high school, but got up every morning and out the door at 5:30 to be picked up by Mr. Harris on his route. (it ran though the Milan Arsenal to Area Q, got to see deer every day). Only did the morning run as I had football in the afternoons. One of the kids at Lavina, named Ava was the sister of one of my older siblings best friends, we knew their family well from the basketball association and the younger sister was "Special Needs", sweet kid but pretty simple. Her mom counted on me to look after her and I did.

Homecoming came and went and Monday Ava was not out front waiting, but her Mom was. She told me that two of the boys at school had "asked" her to Homecoming, thinking they were serious she got dolled up and waited, and waited...broken hearted at Church that Sunday she asked the boys why they did not pick her up and they laughed and derided her about her status as a SPED and told her she was ugly, why would anyone want to go out with her.

To complicate things the boys were sons of the Presbyterian preacher, one a Senior the other a Sophomore, they had money enough that they drove to school instead of riding the bus. When Mrs. Gardner told me the story and I got just how hard that hit little Ava, she was so embarrassed she could not get out of bed it flew all over me.

When we got to school I reported to my Vo Ag Teacher as we were supposed to do and then went to see the Principal. (It must be noted here that my Mother was the upper division math and science teacher, so any and everything I did at school was instantly known and under a microscope). I told Mort (a pejorative as he looked just like Mortimer Snerd, really) he could either handle it or I would. He blew it off and said "fine". License says I.

At the next class change I sidled up to the two miscreants and they were yuking it up to their buds about how they "got" the "retard". I allowed as to how that was less than a decent thing to do loud enough for all in the hall to hear, and stuffed them one each into their lockers and shut them inside and slapped their combination locks shut. The ensuing ruckus brought the Assistant Principal on the run, amazing how much noise can be made from inside a locker with no more room to wiggle than there is.

Very quickly I was summoned to the Office and old Mort was redfaced and spinning in place. The kids Dad was at hand, threating charges for kidnapping and all sorts of stuff, and of course the matriarchal unit was called in as well along with Mr. Rawls, the Vo Ag Teacher in charge of the Bus Brigade. Oh Crap, now I am in real trouble, court is in session. As the issue began to be sorted out as to the why, my Mother's and the Secretary's face went ashen when I explained the cause that warranted my resultant action and I allowed as how I though a gentle grasping by the neck and tossing into the holes in the wall was better than the beating I knew they deserved. Public embarrassment tit for tat so to speak. Them two women lit up like hens on a June bug at the pure malevolence of the boys treatment of poor Ava and from being the heel one second, I was a Champion the next. They flogged the kids and the father mercilessly, why the very thought of such a thing. Mort sent the preacher packing and I got a severe taking to by the Principal, my Vo Ag teacher just rubbed his hands like he did and chortled. That was the official end of that...

I got grounded for a week and my keys taken away for that same time period, how could I put her in that position in front of her peers, but Pop told me she was actually pretty proud, and was glad I did not show up in front of the judge...this time.

Good on your son for standing up, we need more like him!

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA