While I was a military combatives instructor I regularly sparred with my kids from the time they were very little to "prepare them for life". My daughter was always a dainty thing and I made sure I did my best to ensure she could take care of herself, or at least try to take care of herself, when necessary. On the school bus one day when she was in 4th grade, a 6th grade bully (male) was picking on a shy 5th grade boy. My daughter got in his face and told him to back off and leave the other kid alone. The 6th grade boy pushed my daughter and she "lit him up". My daughter got kicked off the bus for three days. When my wife and I were told of this, I told my daughter I was proud of her for doing the right thing and that she better be willing to suck it up and deal with the consequences of her actions. She did, without complaint. It took years for that then 6th grade boy to live down having been put in his place by a girl two years his junior who gave up 20 or 30 pounds to him.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ