Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
If there was no A/C here like when I was a kid, no one would live here. Snowflakes would melt.

Did a lot of research on the construction methods used in hot climates back it the day.
It's pretty interesting, a lot of methods that are seldom to never seen anymore.
Many of which we should revert back to, when was the last time you used a 10ft long crank to open a high window?

There was reason.

Lots of stuff not done anymore. We had sleeping porches. They worked good.

Wife and I are grateful for good insulation here. Starting a month or so back, when daytime temps were getting into the high 80's, open windows at night, close them and thermal curtains when the sun comes up, house stays cool enough for her (Coastal gal, 85 is "Hot" for her) until night. I just got the little window A/C unit out of the shop and into the master bdrm the other day as we're hitting 90+ on some days. Haven't even had to fire up the portable swamp cooler yet.

I grew up in the interior of SoCal and we had no A/C until well after I moved out of the house. Eventually the old man cut a hole above the front door and stuck in a window mount A/C as we had casement windows and he figured that was easiest.

Regarding the old methods, them Spanish adobes worked really well but I don't think the developers are willing to build houses with 2'-3' thick walls, verandas all around, and a plaza in the middle with pavers draining into the cistern for water catchment. They sure are nice and cool in the summer and warm in the winter when one gets a chance to visit one of the still standing ones from a coupla centuries back.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?