MD,

I have great respect of your honesty about hunting with single shot rifles. smile (Not to mention your record keeping and lessons learned)

I don't know what category I, personally, fall into; but I have hunted with single loaders off and on since I bought my first #1 in 1978.

Even tho' I have only a small percentage of the experiece of others in hunting and hunting success, I still enjoy it. Ironcically, I took my first big game animal with a T/C contender in .30-40 Krag in about '80 or '81. And since then only about a dozen whitetails; and only two of them with a sgl-shot. One with a #1 in .416 Rigby, and one with a T/C Encore muzzleloader.

As I get more mature... (And yes my birth year is prior to yours... smile ) HOW I harvest a deer is far more important than IF I take one. smile

Even tho' I have more than my share of high-tech Stainless, custom barreled, and McSwirley stocked bolt rifles, I find the gratifacation factor far higher if I hunt with a Ruger #1, an '03-A3 Sprg, or a Sav M-99. Especially if said rifle is equipped with a Peep sight or Low-powered scope with a post reticle... (No thanks to a certain unnamed gunscribe... smile )

Thus; I believe this attitude is a product of maturity. A maturity garnered by the passing of years not necessarily by the time spent afield.

Soon I will take to the woods again. I think this years "opening day" rifle with be a Ruger #1-A (Cal: .270 Win) with an aged 3x Scopechief with a "Post" reticle. Aaaahhh, Simplicity at it's finest! And if I should happen to be successful, you are going to see a hunter with a smile a mile wide. wink

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"