I know there are more than a few folks who would feel undergunned with a single when hunting dangerous game. And I have actually pondered and questioned the utility and purpose of the Tropical versions (like the 416s and 458s). Yet, if you think about it, in just about any DG scenario one will have back-up of some kind, often professional. Combine that with the great familiarity with your rifle that most "rifle loonies" (it is easier to spell than afficiando) who might choose a single to hunt with will have and you still have a very useful hunting combination.

Besides, when hunting in some of the perverse conditions one can encounter in remote places, I like the fact that I can peek into the bore from the breech to quickly prove that my three or four hundred grain bullet is not going to meet at least that much mud or snow before it exits the barrel. As a final bonus, I have found that the simple combination of moving parts, at least in the Ruger #1, is less inclined to get sticky in the cold than are bolt rifles with longer parallel sliding surfaces. That's a value that has proved itself on several moose hunts.

This bear never knew that it was a single shot which launched the 350 grain bullet.
[Linked Image]
Probably didn't know my backup was five years old either.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.