I have hunted many years with single shots. I started with a Browning 78 in 7mag back around 1979. I killed a good many Texas whitetails with it. There have been many other rifles along the way but the singles have always been my favorites. The last decade or so I have hunted with Sharps and black powder but have tapered off the black powder because of the "low and slow" problems with cleanly killing animals. The Sharps 40-70ss with 300gr Hawk bullets and H4895 are great killers, especially hard on hogs.

I have always had a Ruger #1 or several in the rack and have recently added a Hagn in 300 win mag. It went to Africa and I have zero complaints about the single. Short of dangerous game I believe a single shot is just fine.

Here's a Hartebeest that I shot at a little over 200yds. The Hartebeest was quartering away trotting and the partition hit him behind the last rib on the left side and broke the shoulder on the right.

Sorry about the pained look on my face. I had blown out a disc in my neck and the pain was brutal by this point in the hunt.

Here's my Hartebeest:

[Linked Image]

No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: �The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!�

I hadn�t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955