Coming in late too. I've used a #1 7mm Rem mag for years on pronghorn, deer, and elk. Initally, I think the thought of being single made me a better shot. At least I put more conscious effort into assuring that rests were snug and breathing and trigger squeeze well deciplined. The barrel is getting rough now, but it still shoots, and I've never once wished for a repeater. If I've had the drop on the animal (which is normally the case in big sky country) I stick a second cartridge between my trigger hand fingers and can have it dropped in probably a second later. The real time consumer is getting back on target and executing a proper trigger squeeze.

If out with a bolt action, I still load and shoot single, just because I don't want to induce run out by cycling cartridges through the magazine and action. Likely being anal, but I've never seen the bench boys stacking rounds in a clip

Just starting to work up a Shiloh now (a 45-90 tricked out Long Range Express). Got the big octagon barrel, so it weighs a ton. The wait was initially reported at 14 months but ended up being 24. The wood, workmanship, and wood to metal fit is the best of anything in the safe and well worth the wait. Looking forward to blowing some serious smoke, and hope to break it in on an 400 yard elk someday. Have a good fall out there. 1Minute

Last edited by 1minute; 11/09/07.

1Minute