Originally Posted by Ron_T
I'm a relatively new "member" of the Ruger #1 Rifle Club having purchased my little RSI in 7x57 just a tad over a year ago... and the more I read what the #1 owners say about hunting with a single shot, the more I consider using my "ding-less" RSI as a "hunter" rather than just as a "shooter" at my club's rifle range which is what I've done so far with it.

However, the more I "hang around" guys who "hunt" single shot rifles, the more I find I'm beginning to consider using my "purdy", ding-free RSI for my annual deer hunting trek in the territory around my bestest buddy's cozy cabin in Pennsylvania where we hunt white-tails.

If you have a nice #1, T/C Encores are relatively cheap, easy to replace wood (or synthetic), and swappable barrels. The NEF's are even cheaper (again with the synthetic option).

I tend to use Contender pistols in 7-30 Waters and 30-30. I'll probably get a 16" barrel in 7-30 and use that as a rifle (right about 5lbs scoped). I do have a 243 NEF (I want to get a 45/70 barrel for it).

But.....ain't many troubles that a man caint fix
with seven hundred dollars and his thirty ought six."

Lindy Cooper Wisdom