Evil Twin--Way to go. Using an ORIGINAL bull barreled Sharps 45-110 and traditional paper patched bullets is really special. Think about it--that old rifle has surely killed buffalo in years past, maybe even thousands of them. Here it is today putting moose on the ground with one shot.

Your experience with the moose adds to my sense that these rifles and this caliber are truly Something Special. I have hunted with Sharps rifles and lead bullets pushed by black powder for years, and have enjoyed a bit of success. I finally got a 45-110 about four years ago, and its effect in the game fields, ESPECIALLY on large animals, has been dramatic. While I haven't taken a moose, I have seen Wyoming buffalo and South African kudu, black wildebeast, blue wildebeast, and gemsbok simply melt when hit with a 511 grain 30-1 paper patched bullet out of my rifle. All of these animals are larger than an American elk, and when we put your moose into the mix, I get the sense that there is something extraordinary about the load and cartridge. It simply flattens them.

I am going for a buffalo again in December with a friend of mine, and we will both be using Shiloh Sharps in 45-110. We will also be shooting the traditional 500 grain 30-1 paper patched bullets pushed by 106 grains of Goex Express black powder. We have good rifles and will have a good hunt--every hunt you take with that original Sharps is truly special. Congratulations, and thanks for sharing.

Last edited by sharpsguy; 10/17/07. Reason: spelling correction