RC, exactly the info I needed.

My original intent was to rechamber a Ruger tang safety M-77 458 Win Mag to 450 G&A Short. However I’ve reconsidered and decided to rebarrel an infrequently used Win M-70 SG Classic 300 Win Mag to 458 Win Mag and rechamber to the full length 460 G&A. I’ll use the Manson reamer as I’ve used several of his reamers in the past. He’s easy to work with, fast and makes a great product.

I have experience, rifles and components in 404 Jeffery (P-64 Win 70) and 450 Rigby (Ruger RSM 416 Rigby rebored) so the project seems fairly straightforward. BTW the 404 J cases fit the unaltered bolt faces in both the Ruger 458 Win Mag and the win M-70 300 Win Mag. Removing the magazine block and altering the bolt stop in the 300 should allow the 3.6” bolt throw.

I’ve found that the 404 J with CEB BBW #13 400 grain solids at 2500 FPS MV shoots through an elephant broadside, so it’s a perfectly suitable rifle for African big game. However, a 458 caliber rifle on the 404 J case seems the best solution to this situation. Compared to my Ruger 450 Rigby the bolt throw will be a bit shorter/faster and the rifle handier (planned new 458 barrel will be 23” contour and brand TBD) and stock proportions more to my liking. I know only a rifle loony would appreciate these fine points, but there you go. It’s wildcat fever in full bloom.

Probably will sell the TS 458 Win Mag Ruger as I’m reluctant now to alter it. We’ll see the ultimate fate of the RSM 450 Rigby once the 460 G&A is completed.

Thanks again for the info, have work to do.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now