Not me. I started out bow hunting and still like close shots. Most all of my shots are going to be between 20 and 125 yards.

Longest shot on a whitetail is 168 according to the rangefinder. I've shot an elk at 435 yards and a pronghorn at 295 yards, but those were on trips out west and won't likely happen again. With those shots, it was either take the shot or go home empty handed. I had shot my rifle at those ranges and was sure of the shot. On both I was pretty sure I'd be able to see the animal fall and I did.

Where I hunt at home in SE Georgia, a deer can jump once or twice and he is out of sight. It is very important to mark the spot the deer was standing when shot. I can't be sure at long range and won't take a shot I can't be sure of.

I also like to be sure my bullet stays on my property, so I like shooting down from a stand into the ground rather than level from the ground. There are a farm houses that might be within range of a stray bullet, so I like to be pretty sure of where the bullet is going to stop. The farther off the target animal is, the smaller the angle the bullet is traveling and the greater the chance of a ricochet. I'll get closer or let the animal walk, before I risk a shot I'm not sure of.

Harry